30.1.09

To Market, To Market!

This is our public market in the province - locally called Palengke or Pamilihang Bayan. Active on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

So, we do our marketing only on those days to buy fresh produce, fish, meat and poultry. People from nearby barrios also go to the poblacion or town proper, where the public market is situated during market days. Some of the barrio people go here to sell their produce as well (usually backyard produce).

I already have my suki or patrons that I frequent most of the time. being a fan of vegetables and fruits, some of them already know what i Like. If i missed visiting them for, say a week, my suki will say "How come you did not buy from me this week?". Some of them even know me by name.


Haggling or Tawad is also one of the games of the trade. You can ask for discounts aropund 5% to 10% of their selling price. Often, ask for additional or dagdag after the purchase. If you have 10 pieces of tomato for five pesos, ask for another piece. Or just round of to the nearest tens the total purchase... Say, if total purchase is 85, ask for tawad of 5 pesos so you pay only P80!

In general, I find it fun to visit our my favorite vendors during market days. You bump into people you know eons ago... Sort of having a reunion. "Oh hi Ma'am Martin, I thought you were in Canada? Having a vacation?" At times, I hear "How come you did not attend the aerobics last night?" or "Did you hear about Mang Tacio's daughter?"


You will also hear the latest gossips and events in town... from exercise, to accidents to reasons why there is no electricity. Well, I have not heard them discuss about Obama though! They are more concerned about prices in gasoline, LPG's and basic commodities.

In the Philippines, try to visit the local public market. It is so different from malls and supermarkets. Try to appreciate the difference and explore our culture.

Well, come to think of it, one of our nursery rhymes is about the market. I think I have forgotten some portions of the song now that I am doing the real trip to the market myself.












----
To Market, to Market
To market, to market to buy a fat pig;
Home again, home again, jiggety-jig.

To market, to market, to buy a fat hog;
Home again, home again, jiggety-jog.

To market, to market, to buy a plum cake;
Home again, home again, market is late.

To market, to market, to buy a plum bun;
Home again, home again, market is done.

To market, to market, a gallop a trot,
To buy some meat to put in the pot;

Three pence a quarter, a groat a side,
If it hadn't been killed it must have died

2 comments:

jorrel said...

dadi view my 2 blogs

jorrel said...

hello dadi view my 2 blogs pls