19.11.08

Wow! Paksiw na Bangus!

Oh, nothing can beat the bangus for paksiws! Especially if the bangus is really fresh and one from Dagupan.

There are other types of fish that can also be cooked paksiw like galunggong (roundscad) or Salay (trevally) that are delicious as well. But the meat of the Philippines' national fish has a distinct taste and flavour that fits this type of dish!

Whether locally or abroad where Filipinos thrive, bangus is one of the fast-selling fish. (Tilapia beats the rest of them). In the retail supermarket where I worked, I remember even selling Dagupan Bangus in Northern California and it was selling like hotcake!


When my byenan or mother-in-law prepares paksiw the native promdi way, all I can say is "Wow, Paksiw!" Almost the same way advertised in the famous kapamilya program of Wowowee. And with the way she cooks sinampalukan na bangus (Milkfish in tamarind broth), I cannot help but exclaim, "Aysus, Sinampalukang Bangus!" And prepare our palates for the tasty meal and (over)fill our hungry tummies.

Paksiw is a vinegar based delicacy that is super easy to prepare. It will be on the top of the dish list if I will prepare a book entitled 'Idiot's Guide in Preparing Meals' . Paksiw of whatever fish specie, from the smallest dilis to butanding (whale shark, hehehe!)- has the the same process of cooking.


Let me share how E-A-S-Y it is to prepare paksiw na bangus. This is based on my byenan's way of cooking.

Ingredients:

  • 2 large or 3 medium milkfish, cleaned and gutted, cut into 4. Do not remove the scales (Filipino way to cook paksiw, it should have scales)
  • 1 small ginger (the size of two toes ) - peeled and crushed
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 4 -6 pieces of siling green (green pepper)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper (grounded)
  • 2 small ampalaya (bitter melon), cut into 1-inch size. (optional)
  • 2 small talong or eggplant. cut into 1 inch size (also optional)
  • 1 spoonful patis (or depending on your taste); or use salt, about half teaspoon
  • 2 cups vinegar
  • 1 cup water

Step 1: In a pot (kaserola), preferably palayok or earthen pot, arrange the ginger, garlic and vegetables at the bottom.

Step 2: Place the bangus (fish) on top of the vegetables. Add the water and vinegar then the black pepper and patis. Do not cover. (Don't ask me why, she just told me not to cover it.) Bring to boil.
Step 3: Add the green pepper on top of the boiling mixture. Season to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Best served with, what else? RICE! Garlic fried rice also goes well with Paksiw. Try it and let me know how loud you shouted "Wow, Paksiw!"

Wow! Paksiw na Bangus! is really mouth-watering even just as I imagine it! Oh, hold on, I just need to wipe my mouth.....

No comments: